Today I want to talk about comparison.
Do you compare yourself to other people? How they look? What they are doing? What they are wearing? What they own?
It seems to be everywhere lately. The little things that you tell yourself when you compare to another.
- I should be doing xxx because xxx is doing that
- I work just has hard as xxx, how come they always get the opportunities
- Xxx is so confident, I could never do that
- I studied just as much as xxx and they still got a higher mark than me
- I wish I was taller / fitter / slimmer / funnier
- I wish I could eat like xxx does and never put on weight
- The guys always talk to xxx, why don't they talk to me
- I can’t do that because I have no coordination like xxx does
- I’m exercising like xxx and nothing is happening to me
It can be so destructive. You start to doubt yourself, to believe the worst in the comparison. Sometimes this type of thinking can even stop you from trying or even starting something new. Remember that what ever the other person is doing or saying or acting is not about you. It is their journey.
When you find yourself falling into comparison mode, bring your awareness back to yourself. Reframe your thinking.
Instead of losing yourself in comparison, celebrate others’ successes and achievements. Look to another and think inspiration instead of comparison.
- I am doing enough, I choose what I am doing
- I am so happy for xxx, they really deserved that opportunity
- I did my very best
- I am happy and accept myself as I am
- I enjoy a healthy, balanced lifestyle
Remember that your thoughts influence your feelings and emotions and impact upon your sense of self worth.
The only person you should compare yourself with is YOU. Look back and realise how much you have grown and learnt and developed.
Continue to enjoy your journey!